This is a list of available keyboard shortcuts in TabSRMM message window. Note that some of these hotkeys require that the message input area has the focus. Some others will also work when other parts of the message dialog are focused.
TAB key behavior
The Tab ↹ key should be considered a special key and there are some settings that can affect its behavior. Depending on Message sessions → Tabs and layout[tab] → Allow TAB key in typing area, Tab ↹ will do one of the following:
- Option disabled – it will switch input focus (standard windows behavior)
- Option enabled – you can insert tabulation characters when typing a message.
In group chats, Tab ↹ can be used to auto-complete a user name. This will only work when the message input area contains at least ONE typed character and the cursor is not at the beginning of the text. Pressing Tab ↹ will try to complete with the first matching nickname. If none matches, nothing will happen.
ESC key behavior
The Esc key can be configured on Message sessions → Tabs and layout[tab]. There are 3 different ways to choose from and control what will happen when you press Esc:
- Normal – close tab, if last tab is closed also close the window
- Minimize the window to the task bar
- Close or hide window, depends on the close button setting above
It is up to you what you select here.
Other available hotkeys
Most hotkeys are customizable via Customize → Hotkeys. There are no default values for many of these keys to avoid collisions with certain keyboard layouts.
This list is not complete, so you are advised to review the settings on the hotkey option page to set your own choices for some of the keys not listed here.
|Ctrl+O||Invoke the container options dialog while the input area has the focus.|
|Alt+E||Bring up the smiley selection window.|
|Alt+T||Toggle the toolbar.|
|Ctrl+P||Invoke the Protocol Menu (works with and without the toolbar visible).|
|Ctrl+↑ or Ctrl+↓||Scroll through the stored messages quickly (see Input history).|
|Alt+H||Invoke the history window.|
|Ctrl+U / Ctrl+I / Ctrl+B||Toggle text formatting (underlined, italics, bold).|
|⇧ Shift+↵ Enter||Another shortcut for sending a message (if the option Send on Shift+Enter is enabled, otherwise it inserts a soft line feed).|
|Ctrl+W or Ctrl+F4||Close the active tab.|
|Esc||Minimize container or Close current tab if enabled in the Options.|
|Ctrl+S||Activate the Send Menu.|
|F12||Toggles "freeze message log updates". When enabled, all updates to the message log are frozen until you disable it again. That means, new messages are NOT sent to the message log. However, these messages are not lost, they are internally queued and will be written to the message log when you unfreeze it. Useful, if you want to avoid automatic scrolling because of incoming messages while reading something in the message history. This feature does not work in group chats (yet).|
|Ctrl+M||Insert Math tags to the input area.|
|Alt+I||Quick show / hide the info panel. This is temporary and not saved.|
|Alt+B||Toggle BiDi option (switch message log between RTL and LTR). Note that this is not needed for some protocols as they have automatic detection for incoming and outgoing RTL text.|
|Alt+M||Activate multisend mode (and set the focus to the multisend contact list).|
|Ctrl+D||Paste and send immediately, pastes the contents of the clipboard to the message input area and immediately sends the message. Needs to be enabled in Miranda NG under Options → Message sessions → General[tab] → Sending messages.|
|Ctrl+Alt+Home||Scroll to top of log.|
|Ctrl+Alt+End||Scroll to bottom of log.|
|Ctrl+Alt+↑||Scroll up the log.|
|Ctrl+Alt+Page Up||Scroll up the log faster.|
|Ctrl+Alt+↓||Scroll down the log.|
|Ctrl+Alt+Page Down||Scroll down the log faster.|
|Alt+1 to Alt+0||Select the corresponding tab ("mIRC style" tab selection hotkeys). Alt+1 will select the leftmost (first) tab, and Alt+0 the rightmost (last) tab. Maybe confusing if you have more tabs than actually fit on a single row.|
|Ctrl+⇧ Shift+Tab ↹||Select the previous tab.|
|Ctrl+Tab ↹||Select the next tab.|
|Ctrl+U||Activate the first tab with unread messages (flashing icon).|
|Ctrl+R||Activate the tab with the most recent unread event.|
|Ctrl+⇧ Shift+U and Ctrl+⇧ Shift+R||Global search hotkeys. They are working exactly like Ctrl+U and Ctrl+R, except that they search all open containers for unread events. These hotkeys are global and always active, even when no Miranda window currently has the focus.|
|Alt+NumPad + and Alt+NumPad −||Cycle tabs.|
Other useful ways to use the keyboard or mouse
- Move the mousewheel while the pointer is over the Tab Bar area to cycle through tabs.
- Multimedia keys like "Browser backward" or "Browser forward" can also be used to switch between tabs. This should work with all properly configured multimedia keyboards and most mice featuring extended button mapping.
- Clicking on the usermenu button (second button from the left) while holding the ⇧ Shift key will copy the UIN to the clipboard.
- Double-clicking a tab in the Tab Bar closes the tab.
- Clicking the middle mouse button on a tab in the Tab Bar closes the tab.
- Releasing the left mouse button when text is selected in the log copies the selected text to the clipboard instantly (needs to be enabled in Miranda NG under Options → Message sessions → General[tab] → Other options).
- Releasing the left mouse button when text is selected in the log and while holding the Ctrl key inserts the selected text to the message input area (plain text) at the current cursor position (may replace any selection in the input area).
- Releasing the left mouse button when text is selected in the log and while holding the Ctrl key and the Alt key inserts the selected text to the message input area (formatted text) at the current cursor position (may replace any selection in the input area).
- Holding the ⇧ Shift key while clicking the Sound Toggle Switch on the Status Bar applies the current state to all open containers.