The toolbar is a user interface element in any message window, usually located between the two large text areas. It contains a number of buttons and drop-down elements to trigger some commonly used functions in the message window.
The layout and number of buttons can be customized.
The following list describes the buttons from top to bottom as they show up in the list of available buttons on the configuration page. Please note that some buttons may be hidden, depending on the configuration options. See below for the available options to configure the toolbar.
The keyboard shortcuts are also working when the toolbar is hidden.
- Protocol button – Alt+D this button will open the contact menu. This menu is identical to the context menu which appears when the user right-clicks a contact on the contact list. The drop down arrow attached to this button will open a menu with some options to configure the info panel.
- Info button – Alt+U opens the user details dialog for this contact. It's the same as choosing "User details" from the contacts context (right click) menu on the contact list. The drop down arrow attached to this button will open a menu with some customization options for the current message window layout.
- Emoticon selection – Alt+E opens the emoticon selection window. This button is only visible when an emoticon plugin is installed.
- Format bold – Ctrl+B formats the selection in bold. Only available when BBCode formatting support for outgoing messages is enabled.
- Format italics – Ctrl+I formats the selection in italic characters. Only available when BBCode formatting support for outgoing messages is enabled.
- Format underlined – Ctrl+U formats the selection in underlined text. Only available when BBCode formatting support for outgoing messages is enabled.
- Format strike through – formats the selection in strike through text. Only available when BBCode formatting support for outgoing messages is enabled.
- Select font color – select foreground color – not all protocols do support this.
- Select background color – select background color – not all protocols do support this.
- Avatar options – Alt+P opens a menu with some options concerning the avatar display.
- View history – Alt+H opens the entire conversation history for this contact, using the history viewer.
- Message log options – Alt+M opens a menu with various options to configure the message log layout and display. See here for more.
- Quote message – Alt+Q when no text is selected in the message log, it will quote the last message in the history. When text is selected, it will quote the selection. Quoting, in this context, means that the message (or selected text) will be pasted to the message input area with a preceding > character (very much like quoting in email messages).
- Close session – Ctrl+W, Ctrl+F3 close the current session. Will also close the entire window when you are closing the last tab in it.
- Send message – Alt+S (there are more shortcuts for sending available). Sends the contents of the message input area. The attached drop down will open the send menu.
Available options to customize the toolbar
To configure the toolbar layout you must go to Message sessions → Toolbar.
Whenever the width of the window is insufficient to display all buttons, some of them will be hidden. TabSRMM starts hiding less important buttons first – this includes the formatting buttons and the innermost buttons of the right toolbar section. You can choose which buttons may be hidden on the configuration page (see above).
The toolbar and its relation to the bottom avatar display
When the bottom avatar display is active showing either your own or the contacts picture, the toolbar may be affected by it, because the avatar display may reduce the horizontal space available to the toolbar. To avoid this, right click the avatar and choose Always keep the button bar at full width from the context menu. This will change the layout so that the avatar will always be placed below the toolbar. The disadvantage is that the avatar will be smaller until you increase the size of the message input area.
The three formatting buttons for bold, italic and underlined text are only visible when the option to allow outgoing messages containing BBCode formatted text is enabled. The global setting for this can be found in Message sessions → General at the very bottom of that option page. Alternatively, you can use the drop down arrow of the leftmost toolbar button to set this option.
The icons are fully customizable. A default set comes with the icon pack you have to install with TabSRMM. To change the icons, navigate to Options → Icons and then search the TabSRMM node in the left panel. Open it and you will find the entry for the toolbar icons.
Showing or hiding the toolbar
The toolbar can be disabled. The option to do so is available in the container options dialog. A quick way to toggle the toolbar is the shortcut Alt+T. The toolbar visibility option is a per container setting. There is no global or local (per contact) setting for this. Keyboard shortcuts associated with the various toolbar buttons remain active while the toolbar is set to invisible.