From Miranda NG
Frequently asked questions on Miranda NG and plugins.
- What is the difference between Miranda NG and Miranda IM?
- See: Features and differences from Miranda IM and Miranda NG changelog
- How can I migrate from Miranda IM to NG?
- See: Upgrading Miranda IM to Miranda NG
- How do I update Miranda NG?
- See: Updating Miranda NG
- Can I use plugins for Miranda IM in Miranda NG?
- You cannot. Miranda NG is not compatible with Miranda IM plugins. However, quite a lot of plugins have been adapted, so you can try finding another plugin for the feature you need. See Plugin list.
- Is someone still developing plugin XXX? How is it going if so? The plugin's website was updated in 2011 last time, so I have bad feelings…
- We have few devs, some of them have few own plugins (e.g. Robyer takes care of Facebook), but most of plugins doesn't have a dedicated developer. Anyone interested could fix/improve any plugin. If you found a bug in your favourite plugin, make a report to our tracker and someone will eventually look at it (see Reporting bugs for details).
- And all actual/updated info related to Miranda NG is on this wiki. So all other websites (of particular plugins) are not related to NG and are not up-to-date.
- Can I download somewhere old version of plugin XXX and lock it from updating?
- It's a bad idea, as combining old and new versions of plugins/core will result in weird problems or crashes sooner or later (The main page of the wiki has a warning against that.). That's why locking plugins from updating is discouraged.
- What are the plans of the project? Is there any roadmap for future releases?
- See: Roadmap
- What operating systems does Miranda NG support?
- Miranda NG supports Windows 2003 / XP SP3 / Vista / 7 / 8 / 10. Users of Windows XP might need to install OpenSSL to have full support for SSL.
- Why is there no Miranda for other platforms (e.g., GNU Linux)?
- Porting Miranda to other platforms is complicated by wide WinAPI usage in its core and plugins. Of course, emulators like Wine allow Miranda to run on Unix-like operating systems but some plugins may cause problems: Clist_modern with skin engine, Popup plugin, etc (see Miranda under Wine for details). Same for mobile platforms like Android, iOS etc.
- Where does Miranda store its configuration?
- All your profile data (passwords, settings, etc.) is stored in a file with .dat extension which can be found either in the main Miranda NG folder or in system profile folder. It is essential that you protect that file against theft by all means. Remember that when you remove a plugin from the Plugins folder its settings remain in your .dat file.
- Where the profile is stored depends on the mirandaboot.ini:
- You should use ProfileDir=%APPDATA%\Miranda if you install Miranda NG stationary, to avoid problems with UAC and file write privileges.
- You should use ProfileDir=Profiles if you install Miranda NG in a USB drive or similar.
- Some plugins (e.g., Weather) use additional files to store their settings. Often these files have .ini extension.
- How to load a profile from command line?
- To start Miranda with a specified profile use /profile:<profile name>.
- What are the other command line parameters?
- /svc:<plugin name> – to start in service mode with plugins that support it (dbchecker, dbeditor, crashdumper)
- e.g., /svc:dbchecker will start DbChecker.
- /debug – used for debugging.
- Miranda crashed (hung up / got frozen / doesn't respond to commands). What to do?
- See: How to create crash reports
- What is a netlog and how to enable network logging?
- See: How to create network logs
- My profile gets corrupted anytime I switch date/time/number format in Windows 7 (e.g. Czech to US English or vice versa) while Miranda is running (related topic)
- This happens only with some old profiles. Create new profile and import all data with Import plugin and the problem should be gone.
- How can I disable "User online" icon blinking in tray?
- Options → Contacts → Ignore – block "Online notification" for all your contacts (see the screenshot).
Another way is to install NewXstatusNotify – "User online" notification is blocked by its default settings.
- What IM networks does Miranda NG support?
- See: Protocol support